Thursday 1 December 2011

christmas is coming!

Today is the first day of summer in Australia and Christmas is just around the corner!

Once we hit December, the whole house moves into a different gear. The charcoal is stocked up for the long, languorous barbeques ahead, the ice-cream maker moves back into the kitchen, the jugs of iced tea start to appear, and christmas baking goes on long into the night.

As I sit out under the stars on these warm nights, listening to the fruit bats in the distance, with the scent of frangipani and gardenias on the breeze, I like to reflect on the year that is drawing to a close and the excitement of Christmas and all that is the very best that it can be.

A new advent calendar is hung, Bing Crosby and Doris Day are dusted off for another year of crooning, and all my favourite Christmas books and movies move to the top of the pile. I make lists of ingredients to gather, presents to find and jobs to do that are the pattern of my life at this time every year, and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment