Saturday 11 February 2012

the peony













Today is Miss J and Mr J's wedding. I've been up early putting the finishing touches to a peach and coral pink peony that I've made from sugar paste for their wedding cake.

The peony is a beautiful flower, fragrant and blowsy like a full-blown rose. As I dip my brushes into tiny jars of peach, terracotta and golden yellow, lines from Mary Oliver's poem Peonies spring to mind..with their honeyed heaviness, their lush trembling, their eagerness to be wild and perfect for a moment, before they are nothing, forever?  I want my peony to look as though it has been plucked from a watercolour painting and if you look closely, its petals will slowly unfurl as the sun strokes them with his buttery fingers.

Best wishes Miss J and Mr J. May your lives together be both wild and perfect, forever.

Peonies by Mary Oliver, New and Selected Poems, Vol.1 published by Beacon Press, 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment